This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bolthouse Farms® Plant Protein Milk. The opinions and text are all mine.
Holiday craziness has reached its peak over here. My to-do list is way too long and the dark, dreary weather saps my energy. Making a calming cup of hot chocolate is my new ritual when I need to chilllll.
This superfood hot chocolate can be a smoothie to fuel your morning or it can help you wind down naturally. You know that time of night when you just need something? This is soothing and perfect. Rich cocoa makes it decadent and infusing it with Ashwagandha and reishi creates a mood-boosting brew.
If you’re new to plant milk, Bolthouse Farms® Plant Protein Milk has a creamier texture than other non-dairy milks. It’s non-dairy, but it has 50% more calcium than dairy milk. You can find it at your local Publix in the non-dairy section of the dairy aisle.
Making hot chocolate is kind of like popcorn – everyone comes running when they get a whiff. There’s no getting out of making enough for everyone. After blowing on countless cups and cleaning up the inevitable spills I started making a kiddo version in a glass mug. With a lid. And a straw.
Kids loooove chocolate milk, and since I don’t serve it very hot, I call this recipe a ‘smoothie.’ It works for breakfast or a snack because it’s packed with protein. Every cup of Bolthouse Farms Plant Protein Milk has 10g of pea protein. Way better than the 1g you get in almond milk. And the Chocolate Plant Protein Milk is a good source of Vitamin E and Vitamin B12.
If I’m making hot chocolate for me, I’ll add collagen powder and a few adaptogens to my cup. Those mysterious powders are everywhere lately–if you want to get caught up, we have a primer here and everything you need to know about adaptogenic mushrooms here.
Cosmic Calming Hot Cocoa
- 2 cups Bolthouse Farms Chocolate Plant Protein Milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 scoops collagen powder
- 2 teaspoons Ashwagandha powder
- 2 teaspoons reishi powder
- In a small bowl whisk together ¼ cup milk, cocoa powder, and cinnamon until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan combine cocoa powder mixture and remaining milk over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until smooth. Add more milk if needed to obtain the desired consistency.
- Remove from the heat. Divide between mugs or glasses.
If you’re looking to cut down on sugar, try the Unsweetened Plant Protein Milk and add a little maple syrup to sweeten.